Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day Three: A City Full of Wonders

Number of Pictures Taken: 272
Outfit: Jeggings and a Dayglo-orange t-shirt
Meals Eaten: Two
Something I learned: Street performances seem to be much more varied and impressive in Paris than in New York

            Somehow I feel as if I’m not starting my tour of Paris in the way that most people would. Day three was also filled with exploring the city on foot. And it started out with breakfast at Starbucks. Yes, I have somehow managed to find an American chain that I still love going to even though it isn’t authentically French. It’s just off of Rue Danton on Boulevard Saint-Germain. Two stories with cinnamon rolls and pain au chocolat and great people-watching (as almost everyone who goes there is actually French). I found a quiet little nook with a chair with a view of great architecture from across the street.
            What’s better for after-breakfast entertainment than a trip to Notre Dame? Not much. I finally went in and was greeted by breathtaking vaulted ceilings and weighty atmosphere…great photo opportunities to say the least (not to mention the fact that I was taking in a historic and religious landmark as well as the setting of one of my favorite Disney movies).

Inside Notre Dame

Notre Dame from the side

            Post-Notre Dame,  I went on an on-foot adventure toward le Marais. What I originally thought might be what I was looking for turned out to be Ile Saint-Louis, a small island (similar in size to Ile de la Cité where Notre Dame is located) located in the middle of Paris. Things were hip and happenin’ there to say the last, and who knew that people in Paris were so obsessed with gelato?? Similar to how you can find multiple Starbucks locations on the same block in New York City, there were sometimes three or four gelato shops per block on Ile Saint-Louis. It looked delicious, but I didn’t partake. The lines for each were huge and some wound around street corners.
            Aside from gelato, Ile Saint-Louis is filled with a variety of quirky shops, many cafés and restaurants, and thin streets without much car traffic. I spent most of my time there looking in windows and taking pictures. One of my favorite finds was a shop with a picture of Marilyn Monroe and Arther Miller eating dinner on Ile Saint-Louis in its windows. It felt like fate that I should be there with one of my obsessions (acting) intersecting with one of my new favorite places. Paris never ceases to feel magical.

Rue Saint-Louis En L'Ile - Ile Saint-Louis

            If you cross yet another bridge, off of Ile Saint-Louis and into the 4th arrondisement, you will find yourself in le Marais. I would characterize it as Paris’s SoHo. It is full of boutiques (some French-based along with high-end stores you would find in the U.S. or in London) and has a kind of Bohemian atmosphere. While walking, I came across people ballroom dancing in a gymnasium and a street band called Texas CousCous, which played everything from the Star Wars theme to songs I had never heard before. Somehow I refrained from buying anything this time around.
            Dinner occurred back on Ile Saint-Louis at Café Saint-Regis. It had the perfect Parisian look: small, black and white tiled floor, wine bottles and mirrors on the wall, low-lighting, and a spectacular view. Dinner was yet again Croque Madame and dessert was Crème Brulee, which is way better here than it is in the states.

Café St. Regis

            On my way back to my room, I came across more incredible street performers. The first performance consisted of a couple performing the tango on a bridge. While they had a hat out for people to put money in, they seemed more invested in each other than how much money they were making. Song after song, they kept going without breaking their intense concentration on the movement and each other’s eyes and bodies.
            Next came yet another accordion player followed by a guy who was dancing with fire torches and sparklers in front of Notre Dame. On my way home, the sweet sounds of Zombie by The Cranberries being sung by a man on the banks of The Seine. Tres magnifique! What another amazing day and evening.



Street Performer In Front of Notre Dame

No comments:

Post a Comment