Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day Eight: Let the Fashion Begin

Photos Taken: 0?
What I Wore: Black leggings, nude flats, a white flowy shirt, and a pink jacket.
Meals Eaten: 2
Something I learned: If you're taking the RER, you need your ticket to get both in and out of the station. If you're taking the Metro, you only need it to get in.

            While I've been doing quite a bit of touristy traveling here in Paris thus far, you should probably know that the main reason I'm here is to take part in Paris Fashion Institute's June program. Established in 1976, the program is run by Joan P. White. What makes it stand out among other programs is that you're learning about the industry from professionals within it and guest lecturers come in to speak on a weekly basis. 
            So, after staying in the Saint Michel area for a week, I re-packed my bags and headed down to the 14th arrondisement. My room here is quite large and I immediately "nested" by putting posters and picture frames around my bed and desk. Feels much better than having sterile off-white walls.

Me in My New Room

            After settling in for a few hours, the program (which even entails classes on weekends!) got off to a productive start. Immediately after Orientation we went to see a Cristobal Balenciaga and Comme des Garcons (White Drama) exhibit at the Cite de la Mode et du design. The building itself is an industrial green-colored structure on quai d'Austerlitz. The gray day and the sharp architecture had a very cold effect. However, the exhibits were both absolutely incredible. The first presented the works of Cristobal Balenciaga alongside his inspirations. Seeing the design of a vintage fabric manifest itself in jewelry or the shape of a matador's bolero take new form in a jacket was inspiring. The Comme des Garcons exhibit displayed Rei Kawakubo's White Drama collection in clear-plastic blow-up balls. 
            After this wave of visual stimuli, I began quite a different kind of adventure: grocery shopping in Paris. I went to a Supermarché in the 14th to buy a few supplies and breakfast food. Fruit here seemed to be the same. While the strawberries were much smaller, I was able to get Fuji apples and bananas. Then came the cereal. Almost all of the cereals had different names or were things that I had never seen before. One of the few exceptions was Special K, which I gladly purchased (seems like a fitting cereal brand for this Cosmopolitan K to be eating, no?). 
            Instead of being very wide and extensive, this supermarché was thin, but extended back endlessly. Junk food has minimal shelf space here and Reese's are not to be found. However, if you want cheese, come to a supermarket in France...the options are endless. 
            Eventually it was time to pay and when I went to use my credit card, it didn't work. "Uh-oh," I thought to myself, "maybe things are off to a harder start than I originally thought." Many credit card machines here (including some in the metro) have a slot that can fit about half of a credit card in it. You're supposed to put the card in and then take it out. So, I did this once. And then I did it again. It didn't work. Luckily, I had euros on me. Only later did I learn that in Europe many cards have a "chip" on the front of them. This "chip" is what is read by all machines that have that kind of slot in them. Unfortunately, American cards don't have said "chips" on them. A piece of advice/information for future travelers: Swipe cards are accepted at restaurants and most supermarkets, but they do not work at most ticket machines in the Metro stations. 

Le Depart Saint Michel

            Grocery shopping and orientation behind me, I ended up having dinner with my parents at Le Depart Saint Michel. Their Salade de Poulet est tres delicieux. Dessert was yet another crepe from Creperie Saint Germain. With the first evening of my program done, I only had one thing left to say: Let The Fashion Begin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment