Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Diner

In Paris, I was thrilled to have found Breakfast in America. "What could be better?" I thought.  Bottomless American coffee, a decorative taste of home, and even tap water...

Well, here in Florence, I found that something better: The Diner. Started in 2004, this incredibly pink space serves the best American breakfast in Florence. They play old music (à la Elvis and Johnny Cash) all day long, serve coffee, offer to-go boxes, and give you tap water. For those of you at home, this may not seem like the biggest deal in the world, but in Florence all of the above are rarities.

  

The crowd seems to be predominantly female American college students, but I have seen quite a few Italians eating outside. I'm curious as to what happens to their business during the summer months.

Thus far, I have been to the Diner twice and it has yet to disappoint. In fact, while both times I meant to take pictures of my food, for your viewing pleasure, I was so excited that I ate it all before realizing my oversight.

While some people sit outside, I prefer the inside. The first time I was in a booth right by the door, but had an awesome view of the coffee bar area and a little boy wearing Gucci shoes. The cinnamon french toast and side of scramble eggs was incredible. And the jams and real maple syrup came in little containers that said "The Diner" on them!


Time number two brought the cheeseburger and chocolate milkshake combo. Yum. I don't think I'll order a burger anywhere else in Europe (or at least wouldn't in France or Italy).

Oh, and one more thing, they're open until midnight. Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment