Saturday, August 25, 2012

Climbing the Duomo

Pizza for breakfast was definitely necessary fueling for the long trek that was ahead of me on my second day in Florence. Once I finished eating it was off to the Duomo.

If you didn't know, the Duomo is probably Florence's biggest tourist attraction. It's actual name is the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, as "duomo" is simply a word for a cathedral church. Two of the coolest facts that I learned through my guide books are that the dome of the Duomo weighs 37,000 tons and that it took centuries to complete the full buildings construction (which began in 1296, had the dome completed in 1436, and was finally completed in its entirety in 1887).

The side of the Duomo where I waited in line. No clue why I don't have a picture of the front yet. 

Personally, I found that its majesty lies not in its interior but in its facade. The outside is definitely more intricate and beautiful.

Although admittedly Vasari and Zuccari's fresco of the Last Judgement on the inside of the dome did leave me pretty awestruck. 

After waiting in line for an hour (shoulders and knees covered in preparation, just in case), I paid the 8 euros that gave me entrance to the dome. When I said "long trek" at the beginning of this post, I meant it. From bottom to top, there are 463 steps. On my way up, I encountered tight spiral staircases, nearly vertical climbs, and claustrophobic tunnels. I wouldn't call myself unfit, but I was huffing and puffing by the time I finally sat on a bench.


I really wasn't kidding about the stairs. 

But it was beyond worth it.

The vistas from the top were absolutely stunning. I could see all of Florence and looked to the hills in a failed attempt to see the NYU Florence campus. One of my favorite parts of the hills surrounding Florence is that they look so movie-esque and Tuscan. I think it has something to do with the foliage and the architectural style, but it really is sheer perfection.

Greetings from the top of the Duomo!

No comments:

Post a Comment