Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pizza for Breakfast

No, I kid you not. On my second day in Florence I ordered pizza for breakfast. Admittedly, breakfast was happening at around 10:30/11:00, but I still found it entertaining.

Once again, I ate at a restaurant within the Piazza della Signoria. I find more and more that I tend to pick certain areas of cities and stick to them (have no fear though, I will be exploring). There's something so pleasant about this area even though it's crowded with tourists. In fact, the tourists may be one of the things that makes it so enjoyable. The people watching is fantastic.

One of the views out from my table. It's better in real life than in the photo. If you notice, because of the heat, they have fans that act as misters in a lot of the restaurants. Each outdoor seating area is also really well done; raised platform floors, railings, and roof coverings (either structural or made of umbrellas) sit outside of each restaurant. 

Breakfast was at Rivoire, which is directly opposite of the Palazzo Vecchio. I had an iced cappuccino and a small pizza. Both were divine. The pizza though...I have yet to stop thinking of it. Far different tasting than any pizza I've had in my life, it consisted of a thickish dough base, a lot of sauce, and little blobs of cheese.

My pizza!

While the waiter here was not memorable (neither great nor bad), the people seating at the table behind me provided ample entertainment. Their table started out as just two girls speaking in unaffected British accents. It was one of their first days of work. I particularly enjoyed this fact as I started and finished my meal after and before them. About thirty minutes in, three other people joined their table (one woman and two men). The woman was wearing a white corset bodice with a double strand of pearls around her neck. Her curly blond hair was piled loosely at the back of her head. The man she was with appeared to be Italian, but could speak both language. The third member of their party snapped pictures throughout the meal.

From what I gathered, the blond woman and the Italian man had just gotten married (in conversation, she was going through what was blue, borrowed, and new) and the other man was their wedding photographer. The woman spoke in a clipped British accent and seemed to be of a certain class where her nose was slightly up in the air. Together as a full party with the other two girls, the conversation shifted between speedy Italian and and English. Quite a wedding lunch I suppose. At the very least, I was happy to be an uninvited sideline guest.

An exterior view of Rivoire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment