Friday, August 31, 2012

Osteria Lio Gigi (I think)

If the front of the menu had the right restaurant name on it, then my first night on the program involved dinner at Osteria Lio Gigi.

The dinner atmosphere. 

Located on a little side street near the piazza containing the Duomo, I think it might be the most authentic Italian restaurant that I've been to so far.

For one, we were the only Americans there. Secondly, it was run by one man and one woman. The man only spoke Italian and the woman dealt with our table more. However, what makes dinner here so great is that the man (who we believed to be the owner or at least the manager) is a boisterous, loud, and fun Italian. Throughout the course of our meal he sang while in the kitchen, he sang while delivering food to tables, and he filled the restaurant with life. Just to note: when I say sing, I mean quasi-operatic booming melodies.

We were also entertained by his comments and hand motions. While only a few people at the table were able to understand a choice phrase here or there, we were pretty sure that he was making fun of us. I think it was good-natured though.

As far as food goes, I had a delicious plate of spaghetti al pomodoro and our group shared the house wine.

Second best pasta I've had in Italy. Only trumped by my penne with shrimp at Pescerosso.

Now the goal is to find more places like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment