Saturday, August 25, 2012

More food!

Dinner on my second night in Florence took place in the Piazza della Repubblica at a restaurant called Pescerosso (I'm assuming it's a play on the Italian word for goldfish (pesce rosso). Once again, it was more of a touristy spot, but the touristy restaurants seem to offer the best views of the historic part of Florence and I want to soak in as much as possible.

Pescerosso from the outside...

...and in. 

I had passed the Piazza della Repubblica on the taxi ride from the airport to my hotel and remembered it for its huge arch and carousel. I don't know much about the area and its contents other than their beauty, but I'll let you know when I find out more/get a chance to do some research.

Dinner consisted of bruschetta and penne with shrimp in a kind of olive oil/basil sauce (scrumdidliumptious with a perfect portion size). Unfortunately it was only when I was a few bites from being done that I realized I hadn't taken a picture. Bottled water (somehow the request for tap water didn't go through yet again) and Chianti were the drinks of choice.

The wine. 

Throughout the course of the meal I looked out on the piazza, watching those little blue lights flying into the sky and drifting back to the cobblestone streets, while the sounds of a man playing classics such as Besame Mucho on his base drifted in the air.

After dinner, I languidly strolled back to my hotel, gelato in hand. As I walked through the Piazza della Signoria, I came upon a huge band playing jazzy music right outside of the Palazzo Vecchio. The audience clapped along at a few points and took advantage of any step they could find a seat on. Past the Piazza della Signoria, I walked through the Piazzale degli Uffizi (as in the walkway that passes by the museum), and made my way to the Ponte Vecchio.

No matter how many times I seem to end up here, it always feels a little different. Whether it's magic in the air or the difference in street performers, I don't know, but I love it all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment