Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day-Tripping: Siena


Saturday brought the train to Siena. My roommates and I had originally intended to wake up early and catch a 9:10 train, but after our Viareggio and Pisa adventures, we didn't make it out of bed until 11.

After breakfast at Astor (one of the various restaurants by the Duomo that offers American breakfast!), we rushed to the Santa Maria Novella train station and caught our train within minutes of its departure.

The more I travel by train, the more relaxing and wonderful I find it. Each place we travel to offers different views and different people-watching. While nothing truly exciting happened on the train, I did break out my Rick Steve's guide book to read up on our day's destination. And thank god I did or else we would never have found the bus stop that takes you into the town center!

While the bus drops you off in front of the train station on the way back, you have to go across the street and down the the basement level of the shopping center across the street to catch it. Tickets for the bus were 1.20 euro and you have to buy them at the tabacchi in the train station.

Up the hills we went as we ascended to Siena's center. The bus left us off a little before it (as Siena seems to have even more pedestrian areas than Florence) and we made our way through the winding cobblestone streets to Siena's Duomo. But alas, for that and the rest of the day's activities, you'll have to read my next posts ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment