Sunday, September 16, 2012

More Italian!

Another week has gone by and my Italian language repertoire has continued to grow. I can now tell the time, write "the" and "a" properly depending on the noun (it's harder than it sounds), use possessives, and name quite a few objects.

"Che ore sono?" means "What time is it?"

The proper response? "Sono le..." unless it is one o'clock, midnight (mezzanotte), or noon (mezzgiorno).

A table is "un tavolo," a chair is "una sedia," a blackboard is "una lavagna," and a backpack is "uno zaino."

The words for "a" are "un," "una," "un" with an apostrophe after it, and "uno." The use of each of these is dependent on the gender of the noun and what letters the noun starts with.

Same kind of concept goes for the word "the": "il," "lo," "la," "le," "i," or "gli" depending on the gender, starting letters, and whether it's singular vs. plural.

Similar variations exist for all of the possessive words "mio," "tua," etc.

Thus far, I have had two in-class assessments. The first was a Task in which I had to hold a conversation with a fellow classmate and ask them about their life. Questions included "Di dove sei?" "Come ti chiami?" and "Che cosa studi?"

The other assessment was a quiz that I had this past Thursday. Overall, I would say that I overstudied in typical Kristen fashion. However, it offered me the chance to learn about the geography of Italy and its twenty regions, as well as being an opportunity to fine-tune my vocab. The only thing that I know I got wrong was one vocab word: portofoglio. And I will tell you right now that I will never forget how to say "wallet" in Italian again.

After these assessments, which always take place on Thursdays, we've been watching a movie called Caterina va in citta. It's not a silly educational movie, but rather an actual theatrical release. Watching it in class is meant to train our ears to pick up Italian, while also giving us knowledge about Italian cultures and issues as reflected through cinema.

I am thoroughly enjoying the tale of 13-year-old Caterina and her adjustment from small-town Italy to Rome. The cast of characters is extremely varied and entertaining. The acting ain't too shabby either. Take a peek at the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment