Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Siena Duomo - Piccolomini Library and Unfinished Extension

If you're facing the back wall of the Duomo, you will find the entrance to the Piccolomini Library to your left. The entrance is near the Piccolomini Alter, which features a statue by Michelangelo and three others by his students.

The alter: The one statue by Michelangelo is on the bottom right. 

Go down a few stairs and step into a painted fantasy world. The walls are covered with a series of Pinturicchio's paintings of the life of Aeneas Piccolomini (who eventually became Pope Pius II). One of the most fantastic things about this room is that most of the paintings shine in their original colorful glory thanks to 550 years of careful lighting and preservation. Of all the panels, my favorite was "Introducing Frederick III and Eleanora." The colorfully clothed members of the foreground, as well as the peaceful faces of most of the onlookers, are beautiful. And I happen to like the upward looking/day-dreaming face of the girl between the two men in black hats to the right.

The first four paintings in the series. 

My favorite of the paintings.

As I sat on a bench in the library, I took the time to examine each mural, as well as the books of old sheet music that go around the room. One of my favorite things to look at was the expression of the background characters of each painting. I feel as if Pinturicchio's wit comes out in them.

The sheet music looked like a series of fairytale books with exquisitely ornamental lettering. Something great that I learned from my guide book was that the music was written on a sliding C clef and that the sheets are so large because many people had to look at them at once.

An example of the sheet music. Personally, I think it is sheer artistry. 

Before leaving I took the time to look up at the ceiling. While the walls of the room are religious, the ceiling appears mythological with various creatures, including Pan, making appearances.

Across from the Library in the Duomo would have been the proposed expansion location. Originally, the people of Siena had planned to blow out part of the right wall to create a new Nave. The project was undertaken in an effort to outdo Florence (Siena's main rival). What exists today is an unfinished high wall containing arches. And if I recall, the project remained unfinished due to an outbreak of the Black Death in Siena.

The unfinished wall. I love the fact that they didn't choose to knock it down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment