Saturday, September 29, 2012

Manarola - Come on a hike with me!

I could go into long descriptions of all of the incredible sights and narrow stairs that I was talking about, but I feel like I might do them better justice through images. After all, a picture can speak a thousand words, right?

Looking back at Manarola

 I just really liked this statue. 

Our tour guide said with a chuckle that they like putting their cemeteries in spots with beautiful views, but it really was something to see. Supposedly, the bodies of those "buried" here are removed after ten years when their bones are brought to a type of communal boneyard. 

Up the narrow stairs we went. 

Manarola from the vineyards. 

I wasn't kidding about this hilltop vineyard thing here. With one of their largest industries being wine, they had to find a way to cultivate grapes on the treacherous landscape. 

One of the bell towers in Manarola. 

No comments:

Post a Comment